Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Back on Task

Hi, Everybody. I'm finally back on task with this violin. I've been building a banjo, but I think it's time to get back to the violin. As you can see from the photo, a lot more carving has been done. One of the problems currently is that this piece of maple is pretty high quality, and the flip side of that is that it's difficult to carve. The gouges have to be very sharp, and sharpening gouges is something I have a lot of trouble with. Sharpening a curved edge is really difficult: it's hard to do it evenly. Ideally your sharpening surface should be exactly the curvature of the edge. I've tried to carve out a piece of wood in the shape of the gouge and line it with sandpaper, and it didn't work very well. So at the moment, I'm using sandpaper strips glued to a sheet of glass (grits 120, 220, 320, 400, and 600). I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: