Sunday, January 13, 2008


In the photograph is the layout for the new violin. Actually it's for the mold around which the violin is made. I used some instructions from Stradivari, but there were a few instructions missing and one typo, so I had to do a little editing and revising. I don't really like the way the center bout (the concave curve in the center on either side) blends into the points, so I may smooth that curve out a bit. It shouldn't make any difference in the sound because there are wood blocks that support the points, and that curve is on the outside of the block. Next I'll try to lay out the neck, but I have to learn to do a Spiral of Archimedes to get that right.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Made some progress....

I made some progress over the last few days. I got the soundpost cut and fitted, and I also glued the back on the ribs, so now the box is complete: front, back, ribs, and neck. Still to do are the nut and the endrest, then it'll be time to do the purfling. For those of you who are new to this, the purfling is a long strip consisting of a thin sandwich of black and white veneer about 1/16" thick. A channel is cut around the edge of the face and the back of the violin, and the purfling is inlaid in it and trimmed flush. It's there partly for decoration, but mostly because it keeps the plates (face and back) from splitting. I hope to get started on that tomorrow.